Monday, August 6, 2007

Week 9, Thing 22

Net Library and Overdrive

This assignment was familiar to me, as I have to be familiar with downloadable audiobooks in order to help patrons with their questions about them. I personally do not download them, don't have a portable device and don't want to have to sit at the computer to listen to them.

I found the tutorials helpful - the Net Library one was easier to follow, not so many technical steps.

Project Gutenberg was interesting. There were many more titles and categories than I thought - I thought it was mainly classic literature only.

I had a journey with this assignment - First I watched the tutorials and did some searching by title and browsing around. I remembered the book titled "Beans" from the Net Library Tutorial. It looked interesting. I searched it in the Net Library Catalog and read the details on it. I then went to Amazon and found it in book format, offering an excerpt. This I read and liked, so I searched the FCPL Catalog by the author and found the book. We do own it. I had to place a hold on it, as it was checked out and has one person waiting for it. This sounds like a very interesting book, written in a down to earth fashion. Even though it is considered business subject, it reads in an easy to understand format.

This was an unexpected journey through the Net Library!

Can't wait to read the book!

No comments: